Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Tired

Being super exhausted and working and traveling a lot, I have been a little lax on updating this blog. I did stay faithful to the cause and do some geocaching last weekend, but they were all maintenance visits, and helping my best friend (TheToadNet) get to some of the more out of the way caches, he hadn't visited yet.

I am just so tired, I actually thought about doing nothing this coming weekend. Yeah right!! I am just too hooked, and I need to move a TB or two along, plus I want to spend a day hiding caches. I currently have 39 finds, and I have set some goals for myself and for the community here in the UAE.

Myself, I would like to find my 100th cache before the end of the year. This feat should easily be accomplished with a visit to my mom in Holland in November (actually going to watch Bruce Springsteen and the E-Street Band in Arhem and the bonus is spending some time with mom). Since there are some 11000 caches in a 100 mile radius of my moms home, I think I should easily be able to reach the 100 cache mark this year, if not way more. I look at our local cache approver, Eric, and I wonder how on earth he got to 2000 cache finds since the sport only started in 2001.

That gets me to the local UAE community goal. I would like our community to grow to the point where we are adding at least 10 new caches a month. At the very least, I would like our community to be in the position of having 100 active caches by the end of the year, and that means in the UAE.

There are many difficulties in having and maintaining caches here in the UAE. Particularly, the ever changing landscape, areas that have been clear for years are now being leveled for development, and development is happening everywhere!!

I am also on a mission to put more caches in the other emirates. While most of us live in Dubai or Abu Dhabi, there are no caches in Sharjah, Ajman, and only recently in RAK. And some of the caches out there require a considerable distance travelled before encountering a cache. I would like to rectify that, placing more caches on the routes to the major cache spot in this region.

Well, that is all for now, stay posted for a whole bunch of additional caches coming soon.

No comments: